Logan Airport Capital Projects

I was interpreting the render as a cut-through, not a top floor open to the elements. The current garage at B is ~4 stories per Google Earth, so I imagine the floors above 2 will be just normal parking as they currently are.

Not sure the exact future layout, but it's pretty hostile crossing the busy outer lanes to reach taxis/Ubers within the inner loop. The cops working traffic help a lot, but the busses, shuttles, and double parking drivers are not great.
I've seen the drawings. You are correct.

I'm kind of surprised they are rebuilding this garage. After 9-11, didn't they rope off whole sections because the parking spaces were deemed too close to the terminal and planes?

I'm kind of surprised they are rebuilding this garage. After 9-11, didn't they rope off whole sections because the parking spaces were deemed too close to the terminal and planes?
As a regular terminal B parker, not that it actually does anything, it's the only garage where they make you open the trunk so they can see your luggage.

What would it take for them to rebuild the terminal from the ground up? It seems to be the dumping ground for domestic airlines that don’t consider Boston a focus city. How did Delta handle the complete rebuild of Terminal A?

What would it take for them to rebuild the terminal from the ground up? It seems to be the dumping ground for domestic airlines that don’t consider Boston a focus city. How did Delta handle the complete rebuild of Terminal A?

Delta was in C until the current Terminal A opened circa 2005. Continental moved to C from the original A (and moved back to A eventually prior to the United merger). The original A was relatively small in terms of gates, so it wasn't as big a loss (at a time when traffic was lower than it became) as rebuilding B (or C) would be.

Well, first it would be incredibly disruptive since (as you point out) it serves basically every domestic carrier that isn't JetBlue or Delta. Also, I actually don't think there's anything wrong with B other than low ceilings in the check-in area. The actual gate areas have been renovated to be pretty nice.

In a fantasy world, I think you'd eliminate B entirely and extend Terminal A through its footprint with a second or extended satellite running parallel. Logan probably has a lot of redundancy in curbs, gate areas, etc.

Back